Friday, January 2, 2015

Sarah, age 15, passing message to the world - LIVE FEARLESSLY



This is the message from Sarah, age 15, she died from Leukemia. Her message touched me very deeply, her message profound. They always say "out of the mouth of babes..."

So many take life for granted. They all assume that they will live a long life and have plenty of time. Not all of us get that time. I fought Leukemia for 3 years and was under such restriction. There were so many things I couldn't do because I was either too sick or my immune system couldn't handle the exposure.  I did attend school when I could and I started noticing kids stopping themselves from enjoying life. Girls that wouldn't ride a bike because the wind would mess up their hair. Boys that wouldn't talk to the girl that he had been friends with since primary school because he was trying to look cool.
I just wanted to scream "STOP IT! Are you stupid? LIVE! Don't waste a precious second on what other think! Be you! Go and ride that bike, talk to the that girl. Stop being so afraid of what people who don't really matter think of you."
What's worse is that people don't change once they leave secondary school. It's not as if the insecurities and boxes they put themselves in go away. Instead they spend the rest of their lives concerned with what others think about the car they drive, the job they have, how successful their kids are, the list goes on and on. Does any of it really matter? I want to look at them and say while you were so busy being worried about what others think, you missed life. You missed this glorious opportunity to live each and every moment to it's fullest. All those things you wanted to do, but didn't will be what you regret when your time is up. Maybe you'll live to be old, maybe you'll have plenty  of time... but maybe you won't.
My illness turned me into a people watcher instead of a doer. It was then that I noticed how many others just watch life instead of doing. They weren't sick, the only restrictions they had were the ones placed on themselves by fear. There are those afraid to fly, afraid of bridges, afraid to swim, but really the minute fear stops you - the true fear is that you are afraid to live. When you really want to experience something, nothing will stop you. I asked my parents, my siblings to go, live, enjoy every minute of life. To take me in their heart with them wherever they go. To never feel guilt for being the one left behind but to be so very grateful for the opportunity to live.
So I share with you today, tell people to live. To put all their insecurities and fears aside, those are only traps that keep you tucked inside. Tell people to be bold, fearless and messy. Tell them that its ok to make a thousand mistakes as long as they keep trying and live with their heart wide open. Tell them that this life is a gift, not to waste a single second on telling themselves they can't do something. Tell them to walk with gratitude for the time and the experience because not all of us get that. Will you tell them for me?

I agreed, she put her hands on my face and said "Live, don't be afraid of who you are. You have much to give and share with the world." With that she was ready and crossed quickly.


" how fortunate are you and I, whose home is timelessness: we who have wandered down from fragrant mountains of eternal now to frolic in such mysteries as birth and death a day (or maybe even less) ~ e e cummings "

1 comment:

  1. I lost my daughter Courtney age 2mths of 15, in 2011. this feels like its was from her, thank you Sophie Angel kisses

    www.facebook/courtneysrulewaerit

    ReplyDelete